Also known as the silent killer, termites can ravage through your home without you even knowing they are there. Without any treatment, a termite could destroy your home in as few as three years. Termites, a wood eating pest, can live behind your walls and hollow out your home without you knowing it. In addition to causing structural damage, termites can bring allergies and other irritants into the house. The National Pest Management Association reports that Americans spend over five billion dollars each year on termite damage. Follow these tips to keep your family safe, and save you some money.
Signs of Termites
- Termites are noisy. It is possible to hear them eating wood or banging their head on the wall.
- Thin or hollow feeling walls
- Holes in wood
- Termite droppings also called frass, that look like wood shavings.
- Cracks in the wood
- Mold can sometimes be a sign of termites decomposing wood
- Look for “mud tubes”, which are transportation tunnels termites use to transport food. They will normally exist around the foundation of a home.
How to prevent termite damage
- Minimize moisture in the household as termites need it to survive. Keep a close eye on leaky faucets or pipes or small pools of water gathering near your home.
- Avoid any wood-to-ground contact in your home as this will be the easiest way for termites to infest your home.
- Inspecting lumber before adding it to your home.
- Stack firewood and other lumber away from your house.
- Trim overgrown hedges and bushes around your house.
Termites cannot be controlled with Do-it-Yourself measures. Termites can be wreaking havoc on your home, all without your knowledge. The best thing to do when you suspect termite damage is to consult a professional. The only way to fully protect your home is with regular inspections from an exterminator. Contact the professionals at Rid All Termite and Pest Solutions. Family owned and operated, Rid All Termite & Pest Solutions was established in 1997. Since then, we have served over 10,000 homeowners and businesses in the mid-south area near Olive Branch. Our mission is to lead the mid-south pest control industry by educating the general public on current events regarding the pest industry. Upon inspection, our skilled professionals will construct the best treatment plan for you. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contact Rid All Termite and Pest Solutions today for a free quote. Visit our website or call us at 901-377-9915.